Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: August 1903 Our Naval Apprentice  (Read 10070 times)
cwwhite
Administrator
Apprentice Boy 3c

« on: September 19, 2007, 10:44:34 PM »

http://navalapprentice.white-navy.com/1903_08.shtml
« Last Edit: September 19, 2007, 10:46:44 PM by cwwhite » Logged
Navyman834
Apprentice Boy 3c

« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2008, 01:29:40 AM »

I am still reading “Our Naval Apprentice” page by page rather than at random selection as I iniatially had done. I do see how many folks at the time thought this to be a very serious and special manual and helped many in allowing their young sons to embark in the training and adventure that a boy could benefit from at an early age. Of course the Navy motto “ Join the Navy and see the world” has been the motto since I can remember. It turns out to be the very true, as I have sailed most of the 7 seas in my Navy career. That entire time was during the Cold War and I saw a lot of the world through a porthole, or through a 24 power range finder which was in the gun director for a Destroyer or a Cruiser of the U S Navy. That is not to discourage Sailors because I am sure that today as sure as it was in my day, the Sailor had more liberty than he did money.

Navyman834
Navyman834
Apprentice Boy 3c

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2008, 01:32:58 AM »

In my reading of  “Our Naval Apprentice” each page brings questions to my mind about differences of the old Navy, as I will refer to it, and the nomenclature, traditions and even the written word of those days compared to what I experienced during my 24 years Naval service.

The term rope I find is used very much in the pages of “Our Naval Apprentice” and I have yet to to see the word line used. I do not know when the word line came into common use. When I entered the Navy in 1954 we were repremanded everytime we used the word rope instead of line and that was always the way it was onboard ship. I tried to find when the terminology changed but to no avail.

The words “knots per hour” is used quite often throughout the text and was possibly used properly in the early 1900’s, but in later times just the word knots means nautical miles per hour, which makes the “per hour”redundant.

It is inspiring to read the letters from the parents of Apprentice Boys that seem trully convinced that this program is rendering their boy and their family good service.

Navyman834   
Navyman834
Apprentice Boy 3c

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2008, 12:36:26 AM »

On page 118 (bottom left) the question of bell bottoms worn by Sailors came up and the person that provided the answer to the question was against the use bell bottoms. There were a couple of reasons explaining why they might be used which may have been realistic at the time, but we were taught as young Sailors in boot camp that if you went overboard for any reason and were without a life jacket or vest you could pull your bell bottoms off while in the water even with your shoes on, try that with straight trousers, the reason you would pull your trousers off was to use them as a flotation device in place of a life jacket. One had to pull the trousers off tie the bottoms of both legs in knots, then blow air into the trousers until they were inflated. We actually did this in boot camp and though it is not an easy thing to do I do believe that nearly all hands completed the task. Another thing required when you did this was to splash water on the trousers, keeping them wet would keep the air from escaping through the material.

Navyman834
cwwhite
Administrator
Apprentice Boy 3c

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2008, 12:24:02 PM »

I had the same training going through boot camp at Great Lakes in 1963.  Bell bottoms are, in a very real sense a Navy tradition as well.  The thought of an enlisted E-1 to E-6 not wearing the tradition makes me sick.
Navyman834
Apprentice Boy 3c

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2008, 10:33:06 PM »

Even with the new uniform change the old style 13 botton blues will still be authorized. I do not have a reference. Your right it is a Navy tradition and a good one too.
Navyman834
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: