Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Apprentice Boy Robert "Robbie" William Barnard  (Read 4410 times)
rmcguirejr
Apprentice Boy 3c

« on: November 14, 2011, 11:03:31 AM »

I am researching my GGGrandfather COL Robert W. Barnard who served in the US Army Infantry from 1861 until his death in 1870. His youngest son "Robbie" was born 2 March 1852 and was serving in the Navy Apprentice Boys in 1868. Given information in letters his father wrote home, it is likely he was in the program from 1866 (or earlier) until at least 1868. In particular, the following passage from a letter written 14 July 1868 to his mother describes the situation at that time:
Your letter with one from Robbie enclosed was duly received. I am glad Robbie had an opportunity to visit Normanstone. I guess it will be the green spot of 1868 with him. I have seen no order to reduce the Apprentice boys of the Navy from 700 to 200 nor do I think it is so. When I see such a notice Official I will act. I am pleased to hear that he has improved for I feel anxious about him all the time and will be more so if he shall be discharged.

I have information that "Robbie" was lost at sea 16 March 1873, although at this point I do not know if was was still in the Navy at that point (which was just passed his 21st birthday) or if he was a merchantman by then. Any information or leads would be greatly appreciated. We do have his sea chest, but nothing else directly from him.\

Thanks,

Robert McGuire
cwwhite
Administrator
Apprentice Boy 3c

« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2011, 11:29:49 PM »

I have done some poking around trying to locate "Robbie" and have been unsucessful.  The "Apprentice Boy" system was revived in April of 1875.  Good luck in your research.  The only place that I can think of to look, would be NARA in Washington, D.C.

the webmaster
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: