Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Navy Apprentice Boys to Naval Sea Cadets  (Read 18651 times)
kerwooddr
Apprentice Boy 3c

U.S. Naval Sea Cadets of Rhode Island

« on: April 03, 2011, 08:13:42 PM »

I had the occasion today to speak (briefly) about the history of naval education for youth at an Eagle Scout Court of Honor ceremony, where one of my Sea Cadets was formally inducted as an Eagle Scout. The location was significant, as we're in Rhode Island, and the Navy Apprentice Boys program first became viable at the Naval Training Station in Newport RI back in 1875. In attendance at this ceremony was the Hon. David Cicilline, the U.S. congressman representing the 1st cong. district in RI, where Newport Naval Station is located. He took interest in the history of the Apprentice Boys, which was relevant in this ceremony as the young man being recognized as an Eagle Scout is also one of my Naval Sea Cadets at our unit in Quonset Point. The main point of my short speech was that the Navy Apprentice Boys were, in a very real sense, the predecessor organization of what we know today as Naval Sea Cadets. Much of the mission of the Apprentice Boys continues with the Sea Cadets, with one very significant difference - we also include females in the program.

David Kerwood, W0, USNSCC
Commanding Officer, NCBC Battalion, Quonset Point
President, U.S. Naval Sea Cadets of Rhode Island, Inc.
"Patriots Before Patriotism Was Cool"
kerwooddr
Apprentice Boy 3c

« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2011, 07:31:25 PM »

I gave another brief mention about the Navy Apprentice Boys during a Navy SeaPerch "Train the Trainers" event this weekend, at a group dinner at the Newport Naval Station Officers' Club. What was notable about this particular location was that it was literally on the site of where the Apprentice Boys trained, over 100 years earlier. Generated a rumble of interest through the crowd, which consisted of over 70 Navy Sea Cadet adult leaders. Few knew of this connection to the Navy Apprentice Boys, which in a very real sense could be called the ancestral organization of today's Naval Sea Cadet program.

cwwhite
Administrator
Apprentice Boy 3c

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2011, 11:00:18 PM »

Thanks for your entry and update.  I will probably get a chance to be in that very spot in about a year and a half when I attend a ships reunion.  I am envious of you raising the interest in the Navy Apprentice Boy program amongst the Sea Cadets.  I have tried to do that here in Santa Barbara but no avail.  No appreciation for history I guess, lol   Smiley

Chuck White
webmaster@navalapprentice.white-navy.com

kerwooddr
Apprentice Boy 3c

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012, 10:03:36 PM »

Gave another speech on Saturday night on the occasion of the Sea Cadet Ball in Newport (a big social occasion) - that was on 10 March 2012. The speaker previous to me had made mention of the Royal Navy's Sea Cadets being an older group than the U.S. Naval Sea Cadets. While technically true, I couldn't let that one pass. I mentioned that the predecessor organization of the Sea Cadets in the U.S. was the Navy Apprentice Boys, which stood up as a Navy-sponsored youth education activity many decades before the Royal Navy's Sea Cadets. I also mentioned that there is a small exhibit area in the second level of the Naval War College Museum that displays some of the history of the Navy Apprentice Boys in Newport, where it all began. That brought the house down. Smiley

David Kerwood
President, U.S. Naval Sea Cadets of Rhode Island
http://www.riseacadets.org

kerwooddr
Apprentice Boy 3c

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2014, 09:56:53 PM »

Spoke again about the Navy Apprentice Boys to another gathering of Sea Cadet adult leaders, mentioning the fact that in a very real sense the NABs were the precursor organization to the U.S. Naval Sea Cadets today, now 52 years since its original charter was given by Congress in 1962. Everyone in that group now knows the web site address too.

cwwhite
Administrator
Apprentice Boy 3c

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2015, 10:25:46 AM »

I appreciate your comments and commitment. BZ to you and your endeavors.
kerwooddr
Apprentice Boy 3c

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2015, 09:01:34 PM »

Thanks for the kind words. This is a very busy weekend for the Sea Cadets - two local parades, a wreath laying ceremony from a Navy whaleboat in the harbor, and the formal flag raising/lowering/raising ceremony at the Navy yacht club. All that and they get an education as to what Memorial Day is really all about - perhaps the most sacred American holiday in the federal calendar.

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: