Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Andrew Jackson Perry - an apprentice?  (Read 7533 times)
SARALYON
Apprentice Boy 3c

« on: October 30, 2009, 03:53:35 PM »

ANDREW JACKSON PERRY, ( b. 22 Mar 1831 in Rochester, Monroe Co. NY , d. 17 May 1911 Suisun City, Solano Co. CA) was the youngest brother of my great grandfather Horace P. A. Perry (b. Mar 17 1820 Rochester, Monroe Co. NY).
According to the obituary (Suisun City Newspaper, Sat. May 20, 1911) for Andrew …””Born in Rochester, NY March 22, 1831, as the youngest of four boys, he with the mother were left in desperate circumstances on the death of the father (Horace Augustus Perry – 1797-1832).  Nothing daunted, at 10 years of age he began sailing on the Great Lakes, then on the deep seas, and later enlisted in the United States Navy, where he served three years.  When discharged he returned to his boyhood home, and with two brothers (Joseph and Silas) came to California by way of Nicaragua, arriving in San Francisco in 1853.”
I have not been able to find Andrew Jackson Perry in the United States Navy records.  I am wondering if he was a Navy Apprentice.  I understand that the records of those in the Apprentice program are in a separate file.
Joseph Perry, an uncle of Andrew, (brother of his father, Horace Augustus Perry) corresponded with my great grandfather, Horace PA Perry.  His letters were passed down in the family.  In a letter dated October 12, 1851, he wrote: “Andrew was wiser than his Seniors and is travelling the Ocean.  A severe remedy for his case, but it may be his salvation – a ship is an excellent School House.  Lessons learned on shipboard, which if needed will save a thoughtless, reckless youth from perdition – I should take no measures to affect a release.    His time of probation will soon expire by limitation, and then he can choose whom he will serve – the Good Spirit or the Evil.---“   
The great granddaughter of Andrew has his sea chest.  She says the family tradition is that he came around the horn on one of the ships of Commodore Matthew Perry.   I have been unable to find any evidence of this but according to the Wikipedia History of the United States Naval Academy, “Commodore Matthew Perry had a considerable interest in naval education, supporting an apprentice system to train new seamen, and helped establish the curriculum for the United States Naval Academy.”
She also has a rather tattered and splattered photograph of a youth in Navy uniform standing with a musket (?) on what appears to be a sailing ship.  Could this be Andrew Jackson Perry?
I wonder!
cwwhite
Administrator
Apprentice Boy 3c

« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2009, 10:32:46 PM »

Hi Sara, sorry it has taken so long to get back to you. I have a feeling Andrew Jackson Perry was NOT an Apprentice Boy as the timing seems a bit off.  Please refer to the following link:

http://navalapprentice.white-navy.com/Whaley.shtml 

This lists the requirements and dates for the program.
SARALYON
Apprentice Boy 3c

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2010, 05:21:52 PM »

Thank you so much for responding.  yes, the timing is off. 

I realize that family legends are not very reliable.  But the family is quite certain that there was a letter that one of the descendants took to school and was lost which linked Andrew Jackson Perry to Commodore Matthew Perry and that he came around the Horn on one of his ships.  I understand Com. Perry was very interested in the training of young sailors and the fact that they shared the name PERRY may have prompted him to communicate with Andrew.

I am wondering if there is any place that lists those serving on Commodore Perry's ships during the years 1848 to 1853?  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Sara Lyon  jean3@mindspring.com

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: