Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Chief petty officer Morris  (Read 20048 times)
4starchris
Apprentice Boy 3c

« on: June 14, 2008, 07:19:55 PM »

Does anybody have any information on the last paid apprentice boy? I notice in a search he had a couple of kin make a comment.
I am interested in what medals and or ribbons he was entitled to. I was able to acquire an old uniform of his and was interested in doing a ribbon bar for it.
Thanks in advance.
Chris Profota
cwwhite
Administrator
Apprentice Boy 3c

« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2008, 01:18:15 AM »

I am afraid the only way you can get a listing of his medals and awards are by getting a copy of his DD214 or his next of kin.
4starchris
Apprentice Boy 3c

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2008, 04:49:20 PM »

I did notice that a couple of his next of kin made contact with this website and mentioned if you had any questions or wanted any more information to contact them. Do you still have their information so that I may contact them? Thanks in advance.
cprofota
cwwhite
Administrator
Apprentice Boy 3c

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2008, 12:59:08 AM »

I am sorry to say that I no longer have their email address, along with many others.  They were lost due to a trojan destroying my whole system.  My virus protection caught it entering and locked up the whole system making it unusable.  Sorry.  I will try to see if there might be something in one of my backup from a couple of years ago.
The following are the entries from the old guestbook.

Name: Richard Cone

Date: Fri Dec 10 20:54:41 2004
Comment: A great site. MY grandfather was TMC Harry Morris,the last apprentice boy paid off in 1904. He did 55 years of active duty and sailed with the Great White Fleet

Name: Susan Milow

Date: Sat Jul 19 11:28:29 2003
Comment: Hi, I am the granddaughter of Harry S. Morris. I was doing a google search tonight and came across your website. It was quite exciting to see that my grandfather has gone down in history. If there is anything you would like to know about him, please feel free to write.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 01:08:12 AM by cwwhite » Logged
TEB
Apprentice Boy 3c

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2009, 11:11:07 PM »

A little off topic perhaps, but my great-grandfather, Gustave Martinson, was the second-to-last apprentice boy paid off.  He served about 45 years and retired as a lieutenant commander.  I have a copy of a magazine article about both he and Harry Morris.  The article seems to be the verbatim source of at least some of the Apprentice Boy information on the Navy's history site.  I am happy to share a scan of the page if anyone here is interested. 

My family has a long tradition of naval service and I am lucky enough to have a great deal of information about my great-grandfather and am in possession of his photo albums, records, awards, etc.

Thanks for this site...very interesting.

Tim
cwwhite
Administrator
Apprentice Boy 3c

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2009, 01:10:17 PM »

Thanks to TEB, we now have a photo of Harry Morris TMC from the March 1948 issue of the "Navy Times"
PC1 P.J.McK.,USN(Ret)
Apprentice Boy 3c

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2009, 07:11:20 PM »

I am afraid the only way you can get a listing of his medals and awards are by getting a copy of his DD214 or his next of kin.

Or show me a photograph.
I have seen a photograph of TMC Morris' service dress uniform tunic coat. The ribbons are not in the correct order and some of them are faded, but from what I could see, the ribbon bars (in the order displayed from highest to lowest) are:

American Defence Service Medal
Philippine Liberation Medal
Victory Medal (WW1)(?)
Army of Occupation Medal (post WW1)(?)
Navy Good Conduct Medal (the stars are missing)
unknown
Presidential Unit Citation (Navy)
World War 2 Victory Medal
unknown

There were only nine ribbon bars. I suspect that TMC Morris rated more decorations, such as campaign medals. I think that he would easily rate the Asiatic-Pacific Campaign Medal and possibly the Philippine Independence Medal. I think that one of the "unknown" ribbon bars was the Cuban Pacification Medal (1908).
estate100
Apprentice Boy 3c

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2010, 11:08:08 AM »

I am the granddaughter of Harry Morris.  If anyone has any questions, please feel free to post them.  I have sent my brother the link to this website, so I'm sure he will be along soon.  He has all the Navy memorabilia of my grandfather's including his uniform and will be able to answer more of your questions.  My grandfather was a wonderful old salt, who loved the Navy until the day he died.  He served 55 years and retired as a Chief Petty Officer.
navytop1
Apprentice Boy 3c

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2010, 11:40:13 AM »

Here's the ribbon cluster from Harry Morris's uniform.  If you have any other questions, please email me at rcone39773@cox.net    I'm the grandson of Chief Morris.   Richard Cone

« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 11:46:45 AM by navytop1 » Logged
navytop1
Apprentice Boy 3c

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2011, 05:55:34 PM »

There is a good biography of Chief Morris at

http://mywarhistory.com/browse/printPreview.aspx?serviceHeroId=168

Richard Cone
Grandson of Harry S. Morris
rcone39773@cox.net
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: